Friday, May 15, 2015

Moving forward

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your lovely and kind comments regarding the loss of my Mother. You will never know how much you are appreciated!  The past couple of weeks have been a big blur, but things are beginning to even out.  We miss her terribly, but a calm is starting to come over us.
I am going back and forth to her condo and will have everything that I need to do finished by the end of the month.  I have brought back a few lovely things--she had some pretty antiques, and I will get a mover to bring the rest.  She would be so happy to see her things in my home.

I stitched the Prairie Schooler "A Prairie Year" for her many years ago.  She wanted them individually framed and hung together--so that's how they are!  I don't know if I will leave them like this and display them the same way....or make ornaments.  Not sure--but they are a fun little collection of sweet stitching.  The colors are so pretty, but they don't show up so well below because of a glare.  I hurriedly took this bad photo and they are a little bit crooked, but you get the general idea!  Cute!!



I brought home this beautiful lamp.  Supposedly, it was one of the first electric lamps in her town.  I have always loved it.  I just plopped it down where another not-so-exciting lamp was in my house.  I will have to put thought into where things finally stay!  But I do love it.


Through all of this, I actually have a small finish to show, and will do that on my next post! It is rather small, but will be a precious little snowman ornament!  I have already picked out the sweet fabric for finishing, so I will have to sit down and make myself complete it!  I will pass the chart on, so stay tuned for a chance to stitch it for yourself!!

My birthday is next week...I will be 57 years old!!!  I cannot believe that I am closer to 60 than 50!!!  That sounds terrible!!  hahaha!   Now that I think about it, I have already been closer to 60 than 50 for the past year!!  Where is my brain?!?!?!    hahaha!

Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!
Frances



18 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Congratulations, condolences, probably exhaustion - you've certainly been through a lot. I'm sure your mom is extremely proud of your accomplishments and watching over you now.

I have two thoughts about the PS year. One would be to simply pop them in and out of a single frame ( then you can use the rest for other finishes) and display during the appropriate month. The other would be to have them quilted into a wall hanging so all can be seen together as she chose to do. I think that would b a lovely reminder of your special mother. There are probably countless other options, but I'm sure you'll find the perfect choice for you!

Ariadne said...

The lamp is so so beautiful! It was good you kept it and I love the collection of frames made you should make a quilt or wall hanging with them!AriadnefromGreece!

Andrea said...

Good to hear that you are doing OK-ish. The lamp is beautiful. Love the collection of frames.

Pamela said...

I love the Prairie Year framed pieces - I'd be tempted to make them into ornaments. With your festive trees, you'd have a lovely memento of your Mom every month.

Daniela Bencúrová said...

Dear Frances, Year collection is beautiful!
I really like your old lamp. It's a rarity!
57 - is closer to 60, but still starts with 5, hahaha
You're young, you recently finished studying :-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I just ordered Prairie Year off Ebay this week - it's nice to see it framed that way! And what a beautiful lamp. It would work perfectly anywhere. blessings, marlene

Vickie said...

What awesome keepsakes from your mom's. Beautiful!

Teresa S. said...

Oh, it makes me happy to see someone else turning 57 before I do in October-lol! Happy Birthday, Frances!

Justine said...

Happy Birthday Frances! You have had a tough and busy few weeks so I wish you some peace and stitching time!
You've been given some great ideas as to how to display the PS Year.
I love your mother's lamp and think it's lovely that you will display some of her treasures in your home.

KimM said...

Happy birthday (a bit early). Glad to hear you're able to move forward - it does take time. The lamp is so pretty. I have some things from my mother in our home. It makes her feel close. Lovely stitching collection.
xxx

Robin in Virginia said...

Sending you early birthday wishes!Love the PS Year pieces you brought back from your Mother's. Thinking of you and sending you a cyber hug along with my condolences.

Robin in Virginia

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

When someone passes suddenly its always so upsetting and almost like unreal. Today is the 15th anniversary of the death of my grandpa. He was such a good man, I loved him so, much more to me than a grandpa, more like my father. I ached so when he passed. But I had the comfort of my faith and his...and I knew that he was in a better place or would be...That is a wonderful thing about our shared faith, isn't it Frances? We know there may be purgatory to face, but heaven awaits. Thinking of you! I adore that lamp!

Sally said...

Oh Frances I am so sorry to hear of your Mum's passing. Thinking of you. It is so hard.

diamondc said...

Oh my gosh I love the pictures hanging like you have them they are adorable.
I am happy you are getting along after your loss, it is hard.
I look forward to seeing your stitching in your next post.

Hugs
Catherine

Brigitte said...

These little Prairie Schooler designs are all so very sweet. And however you will ise them, they will always remind you of your mom.

Angela said...

So sorry to read of your loss. I love the PS just as they are and I love the lamp :) Take care.

Carol said...

It takes time, Frances... even after my dad being gone for over 6 months I still have my bad days. I know your mom would want you to carry on and be happy--that is what I keep telling myself and it helps...

I do love seeing all the PS finishes together! I've done a few, but not all, and seeing them all hung up together me inspires me to get going on the rest.

I think your mother's lamp is a very special remembrance of her--it is so lovely. Take care now and just take it day by day... Sending you warm hugs.

Kaisievic said...

Take care of yourself, my dear. How lovely that you will have some of your mother's precious belongings in your home with you.